Friday, March 17, 2017

The Gluin' of the Green, In Which Magdalena's Trunk is Readied for Use

Today being St. Patrick's Day, and me having some pretty green scrapbook paper to line Magdelina's trunk, I thought it only fitting that lining her trunk with paper would be today's project.  This past Christmas, my friend Deanna gave me the gift of a beautiful small wooden trunk. When I began "the Magdelena project," I knew this trunk would be perfect to hold all her things, as well as Magdalena herself, should she need to travel. Doll trunk are very traditional this way.  I wanted to line the trunk with paper because it was done back in the day, it looks pretty, and the paper will protect Magdalena and her clothes from the stain in the wood. Antique doll trunks often have a tray in the top to hold small things, but I was not willing to go that far.  I used my glass top stove as my work surface. It's nice and smooth, and any residual glue wipes off easily.  After assembling glue, measuring tape, paper, and trunk, I started measuring each side, and cutting a paper piece to match. I taped waxed paper onto the stove top, and used a disposable foam brush to coat the back of each piece with glue. For each new piece, I slapped another piece of waxed paper over the last, to get a clean surface. Some places required patching, since the trunk is 13" long, and the paper measures 12" x 12."  Honestly, it doesn't show. I left the rib in the top of the trunk uncovered, since it looks cool, and I did not cover the half-circle ends of the trunk top. None of that will come in contact with the items inside.  It is finished, and drying, and I've eaten a muffin to celebrate.  Wherever you go, Whatever you do, May the Luck of the Irish, Be there with you!

1 comment:

  1. Hello??? What happened to Magdalena? We have been to look many times and so wish there were more posts here.
    Love,
    Amelia-Lily, Edith and Fleur, three even smaller china dolls.

    ReplyDelete